Social media is a valuable tool for any business and not simply for promotional aspects. It is a tool that helps to develop genuine connections with audiences and engage with them. Though, that connection is difficult to maintain when your audience is confused or turned off by how you are engaging with them.
Social media is an aspect of digital marketing that is constantly evolving and reshaping itself, so it can be hard to keep up with trends and etiquette (and yes, there is definitely such a thing as social media etiquette). And the craziest part is that etiquette changes depending on who your audience is. What works well with one audience can offend or be criticized by another. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the “Do’s and Don’ts” of social media engagement.
- DON’T post content that is all doom and gloom. Audiences don’t want to log onto their social media sites and become depressed by the content on their feed.
- DO create posts that are relevant to your local communities, whether a fun event is coming to town or some “pro tips” that may make your audience’s lives a little easier.
- DON’T spam promotions or constantly ask your audience to contact your office for business, as this can alienate your audience and may create distrust.
- DO post and share content that is relevant to your practice, like an exciting case you just won or introducing a new member of your team. Audiences like to see the human side to law firms from time to time.
- DON’T “like” your own statuses. Maybe you liked your own status by accident or maybe you really liked the message you sent, but leave it to your audience to decide whether they like your post.
- DO try boosting a post to reach more people, so that they can “like” your post as much as you do. However, don’t boost overt sales pieces-that’s just likely to annoy everyone.
Create Engaging Social Media Content for Your Audience
Think of your website as the main hub for your online presence and social media as a complimentary component that goes along with it. Now we’re not saying you have to post a lot of puppy pictures like we do on our Facebook page (#SorryNotSorry!), but we are saying social media helps to establish open communication and develops trust with your audiences. That trust can turn into a relationship. That relationship can turn into a client who needs your services. Not to mention the fact that an active social media presence can help your SEO standings.
Attorneys Online, Inc. can help you develop those relationships and manage your firm’s brand by connecting you with audiences on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+. We stay up to date with the latest social media trends and are always trying new things, like our successful Reddit AMA. Attorneys Online has been helping law firms with their web presence since 1998 and can add that personal touch to your social media.